Monday, August 16, 2010

New Chickens.... what to do with the old ones?

Eat them of course!

So I had a birthday back in June and my children got me four new chickens. As we watched the babies grow we debated whether to eat the original 5 that are now just over a year old. We considered putting the new ones in with the old ones but ruled that out. A friend gave us a magazine with recipes for "Tough Old Birds." I bravely maintained that I would be able to "harvest" them. I still maintain that I will be able to but we decided not now.

In the end we decided to keep them all and build a second coop/tractor. This one is made almost entirely out of old palates that a construction site near us was giving a way for free. This time I build a light coop that sits on top of the tractor. The coop can be lifted off to make moving easier.


The top opens like so for cleaning.

We used an old plastic tub to make the nest boxes. It can also be lifted off.

We just take the lid off to check for eggs.

And here are the new ladies.
Posted by Nathan.

1 comment:

  1. So Cool!!! Love the recycling that went into the new coop. Looks like you have learned a lot and designed a lighter, easier to use system.

    Can't wait to see how the chicken harvesting goes. It's a pretty simple process, but not ever easy.

    ReplyDelete