Friday, August 20, 2010

Worms in the Asian Pears


Our Asian Pear trees, we have three, are loaded this year. We thinned them in the spring so the fruits are big and beautiful. Unfortunately...

they are almost 100% wormy. Yuck. I looked up the pest online. I appears that we have a bad case of codling moth worms. The good news is that codling moth worms don't seem to destroy the whole fruit. We have been cutting them out and have still been left with enough pear to eat.
Aside from pesticide sprays it looks like the controls are 1) catch them on the tree trunk with burlap as they descend and destroy them before they over winter, 2) keep the area around the trees clean, and 3) cover the fruits in the spring shortly after they emerge. We are too late this year to stop them from descending. Most already have. I think I will turn my chickens out under the trees to see if they can find any bugs and next spring we will try covering the fruits.

Posted by Nathan

1 comment: